Skip to main content

Book Review and Book Club Read March YA Edition : The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord


4.5/5 Stars 🌟

▪▪▪ In books, sometimes the foreshadowing is so obvious that you know what’s going to happen. But knowing what happens isn’t the same as knowing how it happens. Getting there is the best part. ▪▪▪


This quote from this book is so true to how I felt reading this story as pretty much along the way I could tell exactly how this story was going to go and I loved every minute of it. It was so sweet, heart felt, adorkably funny, heart breaking at times, frustrating but so incredibly cute. I found myself smiling majority of the time and also shed a tear or two which I hardly ever do in books. 

Paige's first boyfriend died in a horrible swimming accident and a year later she still finds people looking at her with pity in their eyes. Now in her junior year in high school Paige is trying to find a way to move forward with her life and regain some sense of normalcy. She decides to create a list of things to do to help her while also pushing herself out of her comfort zone. One of the things on her list is to date again and she has the perfect guy in mind, Ryan Chase her long time crush. One day in class she gets seated next to his nice but nerdy cousin Max and the more they hang out Paige starts to open her eyes and wonder if maybe there's more to their friendship than meets the eye. 

Oh Gosh this book reminded me why I truly love Young Adult Romances so much. As the blurb suggests Paige does spend a significant amount of time pining over Ryan but honestly who could blame her he really was amazing but Max is on a whole other level. He is kind, caring, funny, sweet, a dork but also so incredibly cool. I was screaming at Paige to open her eyes and see their growing friendship for what it really was and I'm so glad she finally did. And I swooned everytime Max called her Janie 😍😍.. Their relationship was everything I love about young love and I'm so glad this book continues on to a second book so I can get more of Max & Paige together.

Paige herself had such amazing growth throughout this entire story and even though it took her a while I enjoyed how she came to terms with everything happening in her life, from her relationship with her parents, sister, grandma and best friends. This story showcased such amazing and strong friendships and I loved how unconditionally all of Paige and her friends cared and loved each other.

The only thing that really annoyed me about this book was that while everyone else was referred to by just their first name, 97% of the time Ryan was referred to as Ryan Chase. I don't know if this was to emphasize Paige's infatuation with him as youthful crush and not truly serious but it was annoying and took me out of the story every time and made me cringe so bad so I dont know if that was a me problem or what but I did not like it. 

《book aesthetic made by me. I do not own the pictures, all found via pinterest》 


Comments